Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 2004 14:33:04 +0100 (CET)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer2@gwdg.de>
To:        Dev Tugnait <dev@unixdaemon.org>
Cc:        Florian Hengstberger <e0025265@student.tuwien.ac.at>
Subject:   Re: bsd book

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Dev Tugnait wrote:

> Absolute BSD is a good book by Micheal Lucas and seems like what you really want... i havent read the complete freebsd.
>
> * Florian Hengstberger (e0025265@student.tuwien.ac.at) wrote:
> > Hi!
> > I need help concerning free-bsd literature:
> >
> > Two books seem to be interesting ("the complete freebsd",
> > "absolute bsd") but although I had a look at both I'm not quite
> > sure which one to buy.
> > What I want is a deep bsd-specific guide covering mostly freebsd related topic
> > such as the kernel, system administration and of
> > course as much networking as possible.
> > I want to avoid paying for a 100-pages introduction to c-shell or
> > bash (with wich I'm now familiar with) or a man-page like overview
> > of the basic unix commands (ls and cd are under control now!).
> > So which one of the two books would you recommend.
> > If both are ok: what's the difference?

Both books are very recommendable. I personally prefer "The Complete
FreeBSD" written by Greg Lehey because I like his style of writing. It is
didactically ok, and a lot of knowledge grown in years of experience with
operating systems, networking and hardware is looking through.

Konrad Heuer
GWDG, Am Fassberg, 37077 Goettingen, Germany, kheuer2@gwdg.de