Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 1999 10:28:50 -0600
From:      hawk@hawkins.cba.uni.edu
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bootloader and slice c

sheldon shuddered,

> > After installing the kernel, and telling it to boot from (0,c)/kernel
> > rather than (0,a), the system forgets with each boot, and must be
> > told each time.  This didn't happen with 3.2 with the same to a and b
> > slices, and the c slice containing FreeBSD in the exact same place . . .

> Which version of FreeBSD are you using?  If it's 3.3-RELEASE, you
> shouldn't need to specify the boot slice this way at all.  Have a look
> at the loader(8) manual page, particularly at the descriptions of the
> rootdev and root_disk_unit variables.

It's 3.3-RELEASE, all right.  I'll check the pages when I get home.
Thanks.

And thenk I get to figure out kde . . . I certainly don't need it, and
my 8 year old turned out to be quite capable of shift-alt-f1-ing her
way to a console to give the three-fingered salute and using the
bootloader to get windows for her games.  But I need a reboot icon for
my wife :)

I've insisted on internet access only through freebsd, and not windows.
 Eventually, I may even break down and get vmware to run windows 3.1
within freebsd--i assume my k6-200/64mb can produce 486 speeds within
it . . .

thanks again

rick

--