Date:      Fri, 11 Dec 1998 02:44:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      Boyan Gadjev <boyan@ixc.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ptrace problem

Hi,
I have the following program that attaches and detaches to/from a process
and it works on other unixes but on FreeBSD it just kills the
process right after
attaching to it. I tried it on 3 differend boxes and the result is the
same. Is there something specific about FreeBSD ? gdb doesn't fail so i
guess I'm misssing something even though it is a 10 lines program.
Please reply to boyan@ixc.net because I'm not on the list.
Thanks
#include <errno.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/ptrace.h>

int     result;
pid_t   pid;
caddr_t addr;

void main() {

  pid = 29282;
  addr = 0;

  result = ptrace(PT_ATTACH, pid, addr, 0);
  result = ptrace(PT_DETACH, pid, addr, 0);
}

best wishes: Boyan

					e-mail: boyan@ixc.net