Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 2009 15:02:47 +0100
From:      Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   8.0-BETA3 gets wrong number of sectors per track on install

Just testing the new BETA3 of 8.0 - I did a vanilla install
using auto layout and no odd options on my first hard drive.
The installer sees the disc as having 63 sectors per
track. Upon booting the installed OS, however, the device
driver reports 32 sectors per track, as below:

da0 at ciss0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <COMPAQ RAID 0  VOLUME OK> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-5 device
da0: 135.168MB/s transfers
da0: Command Queueing enabled

So I then get the following warning:

GEOM: da0: partition 1 does not start on a track boundary.
GEOM: da0: partition 1 does not end on a track boundary.
GEOM: da0s1: geometry does not match label (255h,63s != 255h,32s).

The relevent bits regarding the controller are:

ciss0: <HP Smart Array P400> port 0xb800-0xb8ff mem 0xf7d00000-0xf7dfffff,0xf7cff000-0xf7cfffff irq 18 at device 0.0 on pci1
ciss0: PERFORMANT Transport
ciss0: Using MSIX interrupt
ciss0: [ITHREAD]

Not a major problem, more of an irritation, but I am puzzled as to why
the installer is seeing the wrong values.

-pete.