Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 95 17:01:24 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        phk@ref.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: newfs: sectors per cylinder (4096) disagrees with disk label (36)

> > > I do object.
> >
> > On what grounds???

[ ... ]

> I would like to see something like the following rules added to newfs,
> (by me or somebody else with better time)

[ ... ]

> Or something similar, suggestions welcome.

The hacking is to not introduce rotdelay workaround when a head seek
is expected when in fact head seeks occur at other location because the
geometry is translated, thereby effectively doubling the condition that
the optimization is supposed to help prevent, yes?

I propose that part of the disk information available via ioctl is
the translated geometry information.

The SCSI device driver will lie about this information.

Meanwhile, newfs (which should be mkfs, but that's another argument)
needs to ask the disk its preferred format via ioctl.

Then all this disktab/newfs options/etc. crap can go out the window
into the garbage can where it belongs.

Drivers which are not expected to have translated geometries (and
which, it is pointed out, won't work anyway in -current because of
a lack of bad144 support) will report their real geometry that they
think they are using.

Because of the disklabel crap, there really needs to be two sets of
data returned, the geomtery that the drive reports when askes and the
DOS apparent geometry.  Kill the disklabel and this goes away too
(but requires BIOS calls to set up the information in the first place,
and so probably means using the information now passed in (?) from the
boot blocks.

Really, there needs to be an abstraction between the device and the
geometry management, not only so that the bad144 slips in transparently
for old drives, but so the partitioning is seperable from the block
access -- a requirement for porting the crap to a box that doesn't use
DOS disk layout.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---