Date:      Sat, 24 Jan 1998 15:41:56 +1100 (EST)
From:      Andrew Kenneth Milton <akm@mother.sneaker.net.au>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Free Slowaris (was: Free netscape - good or bad ?)

+-----[ Greg Lehey ]------------------------------

| On Sat, Jan 24, 1998 at 02:44:38AM +1100, Andrew Kenneth Milton wrote:
| >> -----[ Darren Reed ]------------------------------

| >> I beg to differ.  If Netscape no longer participate in the product,
| >> then that is good for Microsoft - the Netscape browser becomes yet
| >> another shareware/freeware product with no real support, etc.
| >>
| >> Granted not everyone thinks like that but some people DO.
| >
| > Solaris is under the similar type of licence at the moment now is it not?
| > You can get full source code for Solaris if you're an educational
| > institution.
|
| Somebody tried this recently.  It turns out you need to be a professor
| of computer science or have his backing to get the source.  Not quite
| what we're looking at here.

My point being that I don't see people deserting Solaris in droves (at least
not because they've made the source available), and SunSoft obviously still
participate in the ongoing development of their product. Not so much a
comment on the difficulty of obtaining source, more a retort to Darren's
outlook on life.

I don't know how much revenue Netscape were generating from client sales
Vs the number of copies downloaded. But I dare say it's minimal compared
with server sales.

There will still be companies who purchase the client, just to have the
support anyway.

--
  ,-_|\  SneakerNet       |     Andrew Milton    |    GSM: +61(41)6 022 411
 /     \ P.O. Box 154     |  akm@sneaker.net.au  |    Fax: +61(2) 9746 8233