Date:      Fri, 20 Nov 2015 11:10:38 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scott4long@yahoo.com>
To:        Jonathon Reinhart <jonathon.reinhart@gmail.com>
Cc:        sthaug@nethelp.no, Sean Bruno <sbruno@freebsd.org>, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ciss(4) HP Smart Array P840

Very strange.  Thanks for testing FreeBSD 10.  The problem seems to be =
that the driver thinks that the controller is NOT in JBOD mode.  =
There=E2=80=99s special code to hide component members in RAID mode; it =
changes the first byte of the inquiry response to 0x1f.  That change =
indeed shows up in the results that you gave me.  I don=E2=80=99t see =
any significant changes in the ciss driver between 10.x and 11 that =
would explain why one driver detects the card mode and the other does =
not.

Scott