Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 1995 13:46:24 -0800
From:      patl@asimov.lashley.slip.netcom.com
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ? BIOS settings for Syquest 270M IDE drive

This question isn't really *BSD-specific; but I expect someone on the list
will have an answer...  I'm trying to set up a Syquest SQ3270 270M IDE drive
as the C drive so that I can easily swap OSes.  The problem is that I bought
a bare drive with minimal documentation; and it looks like I may have the
BIOS settings wrong.

At boot time, the BIOS reports 'Target 0: Drive not connected'.  (If I
put my Connor 1080A back on C and the Syquest on D, it changes the target
to 1, but the message is still there.  It also doesn't seem to matter
whether I have the Connor connected or not.)

When I boot a DOS floppy, and ask it to dir the Syquest, it shows a garbage
dir.  But when boot NT 3.5 off of the Connor, it can see the drive, and
the free FastBack drivers that are pre-loaded on the cartridge.  (It also
reports it as a FAT filesystem.)  Note that the boot still complains about
the drive; but once NT is up, it can see it.  (It doesn't seem to notice
when the cartridge is removed though.)

I haven't tried the FreeBSD boot floppies yet...

Has anyone out there set up one of these drives as the C drive?  What
are the correct BIOS settings?  (I'm using 1024 cyl, 32 head, 16 sectors,
as apparently suggested by a photocopied spec sheet.  I know this doesn't
match the physical; but have no idea what the physical cyl or sector
numbers are.)  Is there any way to get NT to tell me what parameters
it is using?  (That question is about as far off-topic for this list
as any I can think of off hand...)

If it matters, my mainboard has the AMI BIOS, (c) 1992; and I'm using
an IK KW-556N IDE-bus multi I/O card.

Thanks,
-Pat

P.S.	The Syquest BBS isn't answering, and there is no tech support
	on the weekend.  But I -really- want to get this taken care of
	before Monday - any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.