Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 1999 21:56:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@AUSS2.ALCATEL.COM.AU>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: zone: entry not free

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :
> :>    Therefore, my preference is to turn invariants on on all my production
> :>    kernels as well as my development kernels.
> :
> :This means that invariants need to add relatively little overhead.
> :
> :Peter
>
>     .... which they do.

You know, guys, for programmers, wanting immediate panics on stuff like
this is great, but there isn't one user in a thousand that wants this.
If you make this kinda stuff default on a version *other than* current
(current being by definition, for programmers/developers only) then
you're going to hear bloody murder, and you guys will be doing vast
damage to FreeBSD's reputation.

Users don't want panics, and they don't care why, they just want things
to work.  Your reasons are great, and totally irrelevant, unless I
misunderstood you and you meant to restrict it to current only.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).