Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2006 12:33:14 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Eric Anderson" <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   fdisk partition / disklabel recovery (help!)

>From the subject, you probably already know my dilemma.  After booting a
linux livecd (I'll refrain from naming the distro), my laptop no longer
has any partitions.  Now, the drive was not newfs'ed with any other OS, so
I believe only the boot loader and partitioning are messed up.  I see an
ffsrecov tool, that could probably help me, but I want to make sure I
don't make any bad decisions here.

So, my partitioning was something like:
ad0
ad0s1 DOS
ad0s2 ??
ad0s3 ??
ad0s4 Linux root / swap

FreeBSD was on either ad0s2 or ad0s3, I can't recall which, but I believe
it was ad0s3.  I had 3 partitions (/, /alt, /home) and a swap.

I'm running the ffsrecov tool now, but it appears to be very slow chugging
through the disk.

Is there any additional ways I can find the partitioning scheme, or find
the bsdlabel's on the disk?   Does anyone know of a command line (dd+some
tools/perl/etc) way to find the bsdlabels?

Once the bsdlabels are found, then what?

Also - if I rewrite the bsdlabel exactly as it was before, I should be in
business, correct?

I'm in a very bad spot without this machine (happened at a particularly
in-opportune time also, of course), so I'd appreciate any help anyone
could provide.

Thanks in advance!
Eric

Eric Anderson    anderson@centtech.com    Centaur Technology
You have my continuous partial attention