Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 01:20:18 +0200
From:      Stefan Bethke <stefan@promo.de>
To:        Carl Harris <ceharris@cns.vt.edu>, freebsd-hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp4.freebsd.org down

At 22:53 Uhr +0200 14.09.1997, Carl Harris wrote:
>ftp4.freebsd.org (a.k.a. ftp.cslab.vt.edu) is down while I try to put
>the pieces back together -- it suffered a major disk crash.  Hopefully,
>it won't be down for more than a few days.
>
>In attempting to rebuild our mirrors of FreeBSD, NetBSD, and others I
>have once again come to the conclusion that 'mirror', the Perl script,
>seems wholly unsuited to the task of maintaining *large* mirrors.  I
>recall seeing a post to this list (or perhaps freebsd-announce) about
>a new official mirror that mentioned a mirroring software package.
>However, I can't seem to find that post anywhere.  Can someone bounce
>a copy of that post to me?  Or better yet, offer suggestions of better
>software to take care of this task -- I find it hard to believe that
>ftp mirrors the world over are getting by with 'mirror'.

Personally, I use a C++ program named cwftp; it definitly has some flaws,
but works find for me (on ~400 MB/2000 files). I think this doesn't count
as "large".

A (not very recent) version can be found at
ftp://ftp.promo.de/pub/people/stefan/ ; if you're interested in it, I
believe the author has done some work on it recently.

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke
Promo Datentechnik      |  Tel. +49-40-851744-0