Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 1997 19:58:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Utz <spaz@u.washington.edu>
To:        Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@mailhost.coppe.ufrj.br>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with GUS PnP driver

Hi;

On Sun, 16 Feb 1997, Joao Carlos Mendes Luis wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I'm having two (known ?) problems with the GUS PnP driver.
>
>   1)  The joystick port does not work.  If I boot DOS and reboot
> to FreeBSD it then works.  Probably a feature, not a bug.

hmm, probably related to what i mention below....

>   2) If I boot (not necessarily the first boot) FreeBSD and then
> reboot to DOS, descent (the game from interplay) cannot load
> any patch.  Strangely enough, the MID and WAV players work
> perfectly.  I must power off the machine to get it working again.

The problem is probably due to an inconsistency between what the dos apps
think the irq and dma are set to compared to what the freebsd kernel sets
them to, provided that the card is one that the kernel probe is smart
enuf to set...does this make sense? i have a cheapy little microsoft sound
system card...freebsd will set the dma to a different setting then what
win95 expects, so i get no sound unless i reboot the machine in windows 95
*twice*. Check the settings that descent sets it to by running descent,
exiting descent and then seeing if u can figure out the settings using
msd.exe. Then set the freebsd kernel config file to those settings....
hope it helps...

>   I'm running FreeBSD 2.1.6 and the last version of the GUS PnP
> driver for it.
>
>   PS: These problems are not essencial, but I thought that reporting
> then I could help the development.
>
> 					Jonny
>
> --
> Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@gta.ufrj.br
> +55 21 290-4698 ( Job )			jonny@cisi.coppe.ufrj.br
> Network Manager				UFRJ/COPPE/CISI
> Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro

 John Utz	spaz@u.washington.edu
	idiocy is the impulse function in the convolution of life