Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 1995 16:57:56 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        mcw@hpato.aus.hp.com (M C Wong)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 1.1.5.1, XFree86-3.1.2, Netscape 1.12

> lespoir:/local/src/netscape-v112 118 > ./netscape -install
> netscape: uname() failed; can't tell what system we're running on
> netscape: The Motif keysyms seem not to be defined.
>
>         This is usually because the proper XKeysymDB file was not found.
>         You can set the $XKEYSYMDB environment variable to the location
>         of a file which contains the right keysyms.
>
>         Without the right XKeysymDB, many warnings will be generated,
>         and most keyboard accelerators will not work.
>
>         (An appropriate XKeysymDB file was included with the Netscape
>         distribution.)
>
> Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym name: osfLeft
> Warning: ... found while parsing 'Meta ~Ctrl<Key>osfLeft:               back()'
> Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym name: osfLeft
> Warning: ... found while parsing '       Alt ~Ctrl<Key>osfLeft:         back()'

You are still missing the boat.  You have installed an X11R6 server and
Netscape is linked against X11R5 libraries.

You are probably missing the R5 keysym localization data.

It will be located in /usr/lib/X11/nls.

Assuming you found it somewhere and installed it.

Without this data file, it will not have translations bound for the
XKeysymDB file to look up for your keys.

Even if your keysymdb exists.

This is tantamount to fixing a problem with your password file and
complaining that you still can't login, when really the problem is
that your shell doesn't exist.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---