Date:      Sat, 21 Feb 1998 01:21:02 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Khetan Gajjar <khetan@chain.freebsd.os.org.za>
To:        David Vrtin <vrtin@uni-mb.si>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IMAP + SSL

On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, David Vrtin wrote:

>There is a possibility that the traffic on my network is being sniffed,
>and I don't like the idea of someone reading my mail. Is there any
>documentation out there on getting IMAP integrated with SSL ?

The problem is to then get a mail client that understands / has
the capability to deal with a SSL-enabled IMAPd. I believe that the
Netscape Communicator client can, but requires the Netscape IMAP
server.

I use ssh port forwarding, which works quite well - it also requires
no modifications, and can be done on any machine as a non-root
user.

(in one window)
ssh -L8000:target.mach.ine:143 target.mach.ine -l user

Then, you can open up your mail client, and tell it to use port
8000 (or you can change -L8000 to whatever you want it to use)
and it'll be crypted.

---
Khetan Gajjar (!kg1779)   khetan@iafrica.com (w); khetan@os.org.za (h)
http://www.os.org.za/~khetan  | Finger: khetan@chain.freebsd.os.org.za
UUNET Internet Africa Support | FreeBSD enthusiast-www2.za.freebsd.org
'... and remember: WWW does not stand for "World Wide Windows"'