Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 2004 01:01:23 +0300
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@apropo.ro>
To:        Jason Williams <jwilliams@courtesymortgage.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: failed php4 install...can't figure this one out

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:27:41 -0700
Jason Williams <jwilliams@courtesymortgage.com> wrote:

> Well, didn't intend my post to cause such a spark. :)
> But let me explain as I can.
>
> Am I a guru to FreeBSD? No. Do I strive to? Absolutely.

Yeh, same here :)

> A big part of me  likes to ask a lot of questions because I like to
> learn as much as I can. There is a difference between knowing
> something and being able to work with a product. The more
> knowledgeable you are, the better you will be. I try to learn
> everything.
>

> >No, thank you, I didn't intended to sound that way. Jason, Dick and
> >everyone else, please excuse me if that is what it look like.
>
> I dont mind at all. Hey, if I ask a really stupid question, by all
> means, rip me to shreds.

A few months ago I've stumbled across two of my first posts on this
list, some year ago. Believe me, your mail is very far away from them
;-)

> It will not only make me, but other people think twice
> about asking a 'easy' question on the list. Everyone probably gets
> tired of seeing really easy questions posted

This wasn't a repeated / (very) easy one, I think. Did you actually get
it work ?

> on this list that can easily be answered by reading the FreeBSD
> handbook or man pages for the matter. S
>
> I'm a big advocate for learning on your own. But there are times when
> you can not...

Yes, when your under time pressure or you just make the same mistake
aging and again.

>i probably could have dug deeper into this and should have honestly.

Just my 2c advice: try to "port" a little piece of software; this would
force you to get familiar with the way the ports infrastructure work.
Reading bsd.ports.mk is not exactly the easy way to get there and the
porters handbook is only an intro, IMO. This way, when something goes
wrong you can "debug" it yourself and see if it's an easy problem or
not. I will eventually save your time, especially when in a hurry.

> I was hasty in posting my question.

> > > Read it before.
> >
> >I did,  I like it.
>
> I re-read it myself actually. Good web site. Good insight as well.
>
> >And I thought that list is supposed to get people to FreeBSD :-)
>
> Im still here. :)

:)

--
IOnut