Date:      Sat, 1 Feb 1997 16:00:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Chris Coleman <chris@bb.cc.wa.us>
To:        Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Cc:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>, FreeBSD SCSI list <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Tape Backup Drive Not working.

On Sat, 25 Jan 1997, Richard Tobin wrote:

> > > "Conner CTT8000-S 1.17" Type 1 removable SCSI2
> > > st0(ahc:0:3:0):Sequential-Access Density Code 0x45, Drive Empty
>
> > Never heard of such a beast.  The density code is far beyond those
> > mentioned in the SCSI-2 specs.  I assume this is something only
> > compatible to itself?
>
> Looks like Conner's version of the HP T4000s, which is actually a QIC
> standard (3095).  I posted fairly trivial patches for the HP a few
> months ago.
>
> Essentially all that was required was setting the PF bit in mode
> select, but there's no reason to suppose that Conner's SCSI
> implementation will have the same quirks as HP's.

It's still not working.  I tried the patch that was sent to me, but it
didn't seem to make a diffrence.  I am still getting the same errors.  I
think is might have somthing to do with this actually being a HP Travin?
drive.  This was suggested to me by someone, I don't fully understand it.
I am still under warranty, so I am thinking of sending it back and getting
a new Tape Drive.  I have the Adaptec 2910 scsi card for it.  Tell me
whether i should send this back also.  I need to know which Tape Drives
are fully supported in 2.1.6-RELEASE.  Ill get one of them.

> Incidentally, I would interested if anyone else is successfully using
> the T4000s, since I having trouble reading tapes which is most likely
> a hardware problem, but I'm not certain.
>
> -- Richard

Thanks.

Christopher J. Coleman (chris@aries.bb.cc.wa.us)
Computer Support Technician I  (509)-766-8873
Big Bend Community College  Internet Instructor
FreeBSD Book Project:  http://www.bb.cc.wa.us/~chris/book.html
Death is life's way of telling you you're fired.