Date:      Fri, 4 Jan 2002 22:19:44 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@mobil.cz>
To:        ttop13@attbi.com
Cc:        freebsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: upgrading perl 5.005 to 5.6.1

> From: ttop13@attbi.com
> To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (freebsd),
>    Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@mobil.cz>
> Subject: Re: upgrading perl 5.005 to 5.6.1
> Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 20:47:58 +0000
>
> I guess if I just installed 4.4-Release I'm not clear
> why I need an update to ports.

    I take it for "it's not clear to me why I need" ...
    Well, the ports get updated just like the base system,
    and perl5 apparently left the "PROHIBITED" state after the 4.4
    release. If you want perl-5.6 you need to update the port.

> Oh well, I don't understand what "Configure cvsup, frob
> a know in /etc/make.conf"

    That should've been "frob a knob". Sorry, I'm tired.  And it means:
    isntall cvsup ), tweak the
    default ports-supfile, tweak /etc/make.conf to use cvsup for
    source/ports updates, and your done.

> I know what cvs is (but not familiar with cvsup).  I

    point your favorite HTML browser to
    /usr/share/doc/handbook/cvsup.html

> It seems to me that this ports/package stuff with
> FreeBSD was supposed to make it all much easier and take
> care of the gory details for me.

    yes. and it's pretty good at that.

--
FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE
9:58PM up 9 days, 8:36, 17 users, load averages: 0.08, 0.07, 0.03