Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 12:04:24 -0400
From:      The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.dyndns.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ed0: device timeout when no interrupt

--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> >And that the OS/BIOS is supposed to reconfigure it?
>=20
> Yes - if the card is PnP

It's not. The card seems to be very crappy. I'm not even capable of
using it in windows anymore.

> >Actually, if the card would reset itself to irq 3, I would have made it
> >work, since I tried all freakin irqs from 3 to 15. :)
> >
> >> The card obviously is pure plug and
> >> play and when Windows PnP manager loads it reprograms the IRQ to
> >whatever is
> >> open.
> >
> >Actually, this is something kinda weird. The card is not plug and play,
> >from what I can tell. At least, windows doesn't detect is as PnP, and
> >pnpinfo doesn't show up anything at all...
> >
> >Also, I had trouble configuring the card in windows too. I had to set it
> >manually to some free irq around (using windows config tools) and reboot
> >*2 times* in order to have it work at all. And whene I changed it,
> >windows told me it had to *shutdown* (not reboot) for me to change the
> >*jumpers* (which are nonexistent) of the card to follow the changes.
> >
> >Also, there's a "detected setting" in windows that tells me that only
> >the *port* is detected setting. The irq seems to be "guessed".
>=20
> Well, then may be it's not PnP.  But in that case the jumpers are
> soft-programmed using a configuration utility.

Probably. The configuration utility you mentionned seems to be working
properly. The RAM and cable test always fail, though, but I can
*sometimes* get the Interrupt test to work.

I *think* I can change the settings of the card using the given utility,
however, it seems it's always reset on reboot and even windows can't do
anything decent with it anymore.

Morale: if it doesn't work the first time, don't bother. :)

A.

--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK

--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK--