Date:      Thu, 22 May 2003 17:15:52 -0500
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   XFree86 and antialiasing

--=-=-=

I'm trying to activate subpixel antialiasing on my FreeBSD workstation.  In
my /usr/X11R6/etc/fonts/local.conf, I have:

    <?xml version=3D"1.0"?>
    <!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
    <fontconfig>
            <!-- Activate subpixel antialiasing -->
            <match target=3D"font">
                    <edit name=3D"rgba" mode=3D"assign">
                    <const>rgb</const>
                    </edit>
            </match>
    </fontconfig>

These seems to work for large fonts, but not smaller ones.  For example, if
I use xmag to zoom in on parts of Mozilla, I can see that large characters
such as in <h1 /> tags are subpixel antialiased, but regular text is not.
How can I tell fontconfig to lower the threshold for deciding whether or not
to antialias my fonts?
=2D-=20
Kirk Strauser

--=-=-=