Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 1997 10:46:59 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        ac199@hwcn.org
Cc:        Jamie Bowden <jamie@itribe.net>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>, Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>, "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@freebsd.org>, hoek@hwcn.org, softweyr@xmission.com, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FTC regulating use of registrations

Tim Vanderhoek <tim@ppp1555.on.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> There are schools which (desparately?) need more money, but there
> are some which probably have more than they need.

Possibly...but I doubt you're going to find many schools that will give up
their funding without a fight. But back to the overall funding levels - it
seems like a voucher system would necessarily take money away from the public
schools. Now, it's possible (as Annelise mentions) that it comes from new
public funding, but that means that either people's taxes (in general) get
increased or the money gets shuffled from some other location. I wouldn't think
that either of those funding methods is likely to be popular and/or provide
enough money.

Also, I don't know how the public schools are typically funded...does all of
their money come from the per-student formula?  I would think that a LOT of
their expenses (e.g. facilities improvements) would suffer if that's the case
and the attendance starts declining.

John S. Dyson wrote:
> This is one place where the competition aspect comes into play. I could
> imagine where a school goes below critical mass -- administration/teachers
> go away, and then the school is reconstituted in a year or so. That would
> have the advantage of disrupting disfunctional behaviors (both by school
> administration, and student culture.)

I have trouble seeing how the school gets "reconstituted" - where are the
incentive and funding to do that if everyone's gone away to the private
schools?

Oh well...maybe I'm just missing something (or lucky) - I've always been in
the public school system (graduated high school in the early 80's) and never
had any problems (always been either in suburbia or a college town, though).
And my Mom, the left wing wacko, probably had SOME influence on me, too..:-)).

Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org