Date:      Sat, 19 Jan 2002 13:10:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>, smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help with mutex_pool please?

:
:I have another question....
:what will the mutex pool give us as an advantage over other
:techniques.?

    It allows you to avoid unnecessary structural bloat in
    a number of cases.  Mutexes are used in many small
    structures (for example see kern_lock.c) where embedding
    a full mutex structure can easily double the size of
    the original structure.  It is possible to reduce
    the strucural overhead to 0 with a pool mutex, though
    it is more common (and more understandable) if you
    embed at least a mutex pointer in the structure.

    Their use in kern_lock.c alone justifies the module,
    since what we had before was an ad-hoc mutex pool
    dedicated to kern_lock.c.  Now it's generalized enough
    to be useful in a number of other subsystems.

    But, please note, I have no intention of allowing these
    pool mutexes to be generalized and bloated for use
    everywhere.  They are strictly intended for leaf-mutex
    uses only.  A normal mutex should be used for more complex
    cases.

					-Matt