Date:      Mon, 9 Apr 2001 20:51:31 +0200
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disklabel 101?

On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 08:07 -0400, Mike Barton wrote:

> I think the problem is that that you can't have the root
> partition past the 1024 logical cylinder due to BIOS issues - I
> surely would've liked to have been in on wrting that piece of
> code!

Which reminds me of my question I've been having for quite a few
months now:  Is it something essential in the mechanism or is it
only sysinstall what prevents an arrangement like this:

ad0s1a    64M   / for the "normal" system
ad0s2a   128M   one "huge" fs (including /) for a rescue/maint. system
ad0s3x   rest   "normal" swap, /usr, /var, /home, /tmp

[ "small" sizes for really really really fitting into the first
few cylinders under any mapping the BIOS might want to choose
today, and swap ad0s[12] as you please -- it doesn't matter ]

When I go and do an installation on ad0s1 and ad0s3 everything is
fine.  When I start the second round of installation for the
rescue system I'm rejected when wanting to create the rescue's
root in ad0s2.

When starting with installing into ad0s2a and using ad0s3b for
swap everything's fine, too -- which makes me sure about ad0s2a
being a valid root partition wrt geometry and stuff.  But then
installing the actual system is impossible since sysinstall won't
let me put its root into ad0s1.

So who's the one telling me that I *cannot* create or mount a
root (/) partition when there's already an "a" partition in _any_
slice of this disk?  Putting the rescue system's root on another
disk like ad1sNa works -- *if* one is lucky enough to have a
second disk around. :>  As well as installing in different order
will cause the same problem and proves ad0s2 to not be the real
problem.

Since there's a boot manager to start one of the slices and every
slice I would jump into would have a valid root partition in "a"
I feel my wish to be not too silly. :)  Unless I missed something
important or obvious somebody can tell me and other subscribers
who too want a rescue/maint. system next to the real system.

Admittedly I'll have to go through it once more and provide a
clear step by step instruction for those who want to reproduce
it, combined with the real messages I get instead of writing from
the top of my head (I only remember that the message popping up
didn't tell me too much besides "you cannot do this").  But the
inability to put a maintenance companion next to the regular
system really is a pity.

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net