Date:      Sun, 11 Jul 1999 21:34:44 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        Dutch Collins <dutch@charm.net>
Cc:        bsd-doc <freebsd-doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Documents - the plain paper look - always?

Hi,

On Sun, Jul 11, 1999 at 10:23:58AM -0400, Dutch Collins wrote:
> I have stuffed DocBook in the 'ol brain and have a question(s).
>
> 1) What are the limits to page beautification, shading and color.

Depends.  DocBook itself says very little about how the information in
the document should be formatted.  Currently, we use a stylesheets written
in a (scheme-like) language called DSSSL to do that, and a processor
(called Jade) which reads in the DocBook and the stylesheet, and generates
the formatted output.

> 2) I looked over the CD-ROM (walcrk) and did not find the BSD version
>    of DocBook. Do I have to ftp the DocBook-FreeBSD version from
>    FreeBSD.org?

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/doc/share/sgml/freebsd.dtd

You'll also need the CATALOG file and freebsd.dsl file in that directory
as well.

The organisation is tied quite heavily to the FDP.  If you're planning
on using these with your own documents, but aren't up to speed with
SGML and DSSSL yet, I recommend using CVSup to download doc/en/* and
doc/share/*, and seeing how the Makefiles use the various programs to
generate the formatted output from doc/en/handbook/ and
doc/en/tutorials/docproj-primer/.

> 3) Almost all web sites I visited that had something to do with
>    documentation had the same look, plain paper. Is this the preferred
>    look for sites or just a look generated by DocBook?

It's a look generated by the 'default' DSSSL stylesheets, written by
Norm Walsh.  They're not 'default' in the sense that they ship with
DocBook, but they are the most complete set in existence, and since the
output is (for most people) 'good enough', no one bothers to customise
the output.

It can be customised, either by tweaking variables in the stylesheets, or
by rewriting the stylesheets functions to do things differently.  The
previously mentioned freebsd.dsl file does this in some cases.

I'm no style maven, so if you've got suggestions for how the look and feel
of the formatted documentation could be improved then I'm all ears.

> a) New Topic: WP8 does have DocBook and the DOD SGML on the CD. I
>    think I have enough windoze\disk\space to give it a try. What
>    kind of HTML will fall out? Got me. As soon as I generate
>    something useful I will post the URL. It will be notes or maybe
>    a man page. ???Maybe something from my C books from 198x years.???

Absolutely no idea I'm afraid.  I haven't got WP8 installed.  But I'm
interested in your results.

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>