Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 2002 00:12:00 +0200 (CEST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Javi=20Patata?= <electropatatabsd@yahoo.es>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Xwindow sond problem

Hi!!!

After compiling my Kernel my AC97 onboard sound runs!!

but now I have a problem:

When I run X ( Gnome 1.4 with sawfish ) sound seem not
to work properly.

I try tu run several apps ( xmms, mpg123, mpg123...)
and they repeat same message: " failed to open sound
device " ( even running a console under gnome for
mp3blaster or mpg123 ).

If I try to run any other audio file opening other
session ( I tried Ctrl + f1, f2, f3...) it doesn't run
too showing  same message.

Curiously, when I log out xsession any app runs O.K.
under console ( i.e. mp3blaster sounds great ).

And if I follow this sequence:

1-runnig audio on console
2-stopping audio on console
3-running an X session ( gnome )
4-logging out of console user
( or not )

¡¡ Audio runs on X !!

¿ Could you please tell me what's happening ?

FreeBSD 4.6
Via 82c686 AC97 onboard audio
Celeron 800 coppermine
128 Mb Dimm