Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 19:04:34 -0800
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Installing XFree86 post make 3.0-Stable

Rather than installing XFree86 off the 3.0-RELEASE CD (the CD has 3.3.2), I
cvsupped and built an elf-based 3.0-STABLE system (which seems to work fine)
and then attempted to install the XFree86 3.3.3.1 distribution using
/stand/sysinstall.

Sysinstall seems to connect to ftp.freebsd.org OK, then gives me a message
"Fixing permissions in XFree86 tree" at which point the download quietly
dies and returns me to sysinstall's Configuration menu.

Any ideas?

The /usr/X11R6 directory is owned by root:wheel. I tried deleting the
'/usr/X11R6' tree hoping sysinstall would rebuild it the way it wanted, but
all it did was die faster :-(

Had I installed XFree when I installed FreeBSD, would 'make world' have
rebuilt X (does cvsupping 'src-all' fetch the latest X sources, too?)

Only other odd thing I can think of is I made world with the -DNOAOUT
option.

TIA,

--Dan