Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 23:43:33 -0400
From:      leckert <leckert@neo.rr.com>
To:        "Andrew C. Hornback" <hornback@wireco.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Benchmarks and reactions

"Andrew C. Hornback" wrote:

>         There are always going to be trade-offs, no matter what you're designing.
> It's just a matter of what you want the emphasis to be on your final
> product, and personally, I'm quite happy with how FreeBSD performs right out
> of the box, and even better after a few tweaks.
>
>         True, we should try to make FreeBSD as good as it possibly can be... but do
> we really need to try to hit a target simply because another OS does?  I'd
> really rather NOT see this turn into a "Bit Monkey see, Bit Monkey do" thing
> with Linux...

I'll just add my $.02 worth. I've jumped from the Amiga age straight
into linux, bypassing being contaminated by M$ anything (which I've
always considered a plus). I've had experience with almost every
mainline linux distro available, finally settling on Debian. I'm not
gonna give up my Debian, but FreeBSD has impressed me so much that it's
a keeper. I know I've mentioned that in passing here on the list. I've
gone ahead and built another decent box that should last a while where
my FreeBSD can reside, and it's going to stay. I don't need a benchmark
test to tell me how it performs against linux. I have them sitting side
by side here in my computer room, and I have the latest kernel, etc, on
my linux box, and I keep it up to date. I make my linux buddies angry
too, because I tell them the simple truth.  My FreeBSD runs faster and
cleaner, case closed. I also consider it as stable, probably even more
stable.  To me, FreeBSD wins hands down.  Take the benchmark article,
use the paper for something useful, load up your FreeBSD, and do some
computing. You just can't lose with the FreeBSD.

--
kometboy  	   kometboy@neo.rr.com  (Debian GNU/Linux)
	           leckert@neo.rr.com       (FreeBSD)