Date:      Sat, 28 Feb 1998 10:41:39 +0300
From:      Grigoriy Strokin <grg@philol.msu.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   QIC tape drive

Hello,

I'm having problems trying to use QIC tape drive for FDD controller in
FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE. Device ft0 is specified in kernel,
but it seems that FDD controller driver probes on startup
only those drives that are set in BIOS setup. So, it
only tests fd0, and says OK, but does NOT event try to test
ft0.

I suppose that is because the second drive of FDC, which my tape drive
is on,
is set to "None" in BIOS setup. But I can't set "floppy drive2 = tape"
there.
I have tried to set "1.44MB" in hope that FreeBSD come to test the
second drive,
but no, since BIOS says FDD1 seek failure or so, FreeBSD keep assuming
that there no other drives but one...

Please help!!!