Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 1998 07:35:48 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Mark Turrin <mlt@linkzone.com>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Spam filters

[.....]
> > It probably means that the DNS timed out :-|  For testing, you can
> > try ``check_mail mlt@111.org.'' to force your way through the DNS bit.
>
> It is when I run ``check_mail mlt@111.org.'' that I get this status
> message.  I think you are right that it is a DNS error because it takes a
> while to return this message (sendmail appears to timeout).  So is there
> some configuration variable I need to set in sendmail.cf to correct this
> problem?  Most of the spam domain names do not have DNS entries so they
> time out even with a ``whois'' command.  I have the resolve part of the
> ruleset commented out just as shown in the example file so its not getting
> called from there.
>
> # Host must be resolvable, currently not used at hub.freebsd.org
> #R$* $| $*              $: <?> <$1 $| $2> $>3 foo@$1
> #R<?> <$*> $*<@$*.>     $: $1
> #R<?> <$*> $*<@$*>      $#error $: 451 Domain does not resolve ($1)
>
> Do I need to uncomment the following in the sendmail.cf file?:
>
> # shall I avoid expanding CNAMEs (violates protocols)?
> #O DontExpandCnames

I disallow un-resolvable names too.  The thing is, that while you're
connected to the net you should have access to full name services.
As you receive mail, sendmail looks up the DNS and validates the
addresses.  This isn't possible to test unless you're connected or
you suffix all the domain names with a '.' to fool the DNS lookup
ruleset (96).

> > > Is this the stuff in:
> > > ftp://releng22.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releng22/XF8633/
> >
> > Probably more like
> >
> >   ftp://releng22.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releng22/src/etc/mail
>
> This is a bad link.  There is no ``/src'' directory only the directory
> tree shown below. Here is all that's there:

Oh, sorry.  You'll find the stuff in a ``src/etc/mail'' directory,
but you'll have to have a look around for a releng_2_2 source
distribution.  I *thought* you could get this under

  ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-stable

> ftp://releng22.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releng22/
>
> Current directory is /pub/FreeBSD/releng22
>
> Up to higher level directory
>   XF8633/                                       Sun Jun 22 00:00:00 1997
>   XF86331/                                      Thu Sep 11 08:49:00 1997
>   packages/                                     Sat Nov 29 11:48:00 1997
>
> Maybe something has changed at the freebsd.org site.
>
> Thanks again,

Cheers.

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;