Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 21:07:02 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@ptavv.es.net>
To:        Jud <jud@operamail.com>
Cc:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No X for user - RTFM

> From: Jud <jud@operamail.com>
> Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 19:10:34 -0500
>
> 1/15/2002 4:00:11 PM, "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@ptavv.es.net>
> wrote:
>
> >> Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 21:50:26 +0100
> >> From: Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
> >> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> >>
> >> On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 07:59:43AM +0100, Roman Neuhauser
> wrote:
> >>
> >> xwrapper is in the ports, under the name "wrapper".
> >> You dont run it directly when it is installed, it is
> >> for use with "startx".
> >>
> >> It won;t compile unless you have
> >>
> >> XFREE86_VERSION=4
> >>
> >> In your environment.
> >> This is supposed to happen if you put this line /etc/rc.conf
> >> It doesn't appear to work in 4.5-RC.
> >> So I just set it and export it into the shell by hand.
> >> Then it works.
> >
> >It goes in /etc/make.conf, not rc.conf.
>
> Easiest way to get yourself an /etc/make.conf file is to
> cp /etc/defaults/make.conf /etc
>
> Then uncomment the lines you want, one of which happens to be
> XFREE86_VERSION=4

This is a VERY bad thing to do and defeats the entire point in
creating the defaults directory.

When the system changes require changes to any default, they are
installed automatically. Anything in the /etc files will override
anything in the defaults file. If you copy a defaults file into /etc,
you break this and risk problems when you upgrade the system.

A single line in /etc/make.conf is the correct way to do this.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)