Date:      Thu, 11 May 2000 16:36:05 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Mitch Vincent" <mitch@venux.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD SMP

> We're getting ready to put some serious money into a new database server and
> wanted some opinions on a few possible hardware choices.
>
> First, is anyone using FreeBSD (4.0) with 4 x86 processors? If so, what
> motherboard are you using?

We (FreeBSD Test Labs) have hands-on experience with the Intel AD450NX,
Intel SC450NX and Acer Altos 11000 boards.  All of these work very well,
however you mentioned that you have a lot invested in SDRAM and all of
these boards use EDO DIMMs.

> Is anyone using any of the AMI (www.ami.com) Quad motherboards?

You might want to talk to Kedar at ASA Computers (kedar@asacomputers.com)
or Billy Bath at Telenet Systems (www.tesys.com), both of whom, I
understand, have considerable experience with the AMI boards.  See my
other messages regarding sensible purchasing, however.