Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 22:05:30 -0800
From:      "Jeff Shevlen" <jeff@dsl.ca>
To:        "Giorgos Keramidas" <keramida@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CVSup release info

Very cool!  El cheapo, but it el works'o!  I am full newbie with shell
scripting, but if you could give a brief explanation of what's
happening here that would be great.

Would these be examples of macros?  I have a pretty good idea what the
second script does, but the first script is a complete mystery.

: El cheapo trick to get the version of the installed system (not the
: sources, but the RUNNING system version):
:
: $ ( echo '#include <sys/param.h>' ; echo __FreeBSD_version ) |
cpp -E - | tail -1
: 500028
:
: And the same trick for the sources of /usr/src/sys:

: $ grep '#define[[:space:]]*__FreeBSD_version'
/usr/src/sys/sys/param.h | awk '{print $3}'
: 500029
:
: (Yes, don't ask.  I do need to build world soon again, there has
been
: a version bump, since I last compiled my -CURRENT :P)