Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 09:43:42 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "Patrik Kudo" <kudo@partitur.se>
Cc:        "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: shutdown and power-cut

On Fri, 30 Oct 1998 15:25:40 +0100 (CET), Patrik Kudo wrote:

>On 30 Oct, Steve Friedrich wrote:
>>
>> Ideas:
>> 1. Pull the power plug and plug it back in tommorrow when you come in?
>> 2. Put X10 controllers on each server and get an X10 controller with
>> either a timer or dial-in capability?
>> 3. Buy the low tech timers used to control pool pumps, etc?
>>
>> This email may be way too late, I didn't see it last night...
>>

>Thanks for your answer, and sorry about the double post to the list. I
>frist thought I got the wrong address, and posted it again =/
>
>Anyway, about your answers,
>1. I can't pull the plug, because I want to
>minimize downtime. > 4-5 hours is not good at all =(
>3. I thought about this too, but I've only seen timers that run
> on the power from the plug they're pluged into... Not much help
> when the power goes. I'll try to find timers with batteries though.

Duh, my mistake.  I was on a roll...  But hey, you could plug these in
between a UPS and a server!!  that way the UPS could keep the little
motor running, but not get sucked down by the server!!

>About the X10 controllers... Never heard about them before. How do
>they work? What are they used for? It sounds interesting.

You can get them at radio shack, fairly cheap.  You can also get them
via mail-order but that would be too late.

Also, see www.x10.com for info.

I bough a bunch of these years ago.  They're pretty damn cheap now.
You can probably find them at hardware stores, like HomeDepot, Builders
Square, etc.

The thing I didn't like about them is that they're too low tech.  They
send a signal across the power lines and there is NO collision
detection.  So if two units send a signal at exactly the same time,
weird shit can happen, like if you and another person turn on or off
different devices at the same time, a totally different device might
activate/deactivate.  And potentially, a neighbor's X10 appliances
could be controlled from YOUR apartment, since the signal can travel
quite far!!
Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.