Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:35:22 -0500
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
Cc:        msmith@FreeBSD.ORG (Mike Smith), imp@village.org (Warner Losh), freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Here is what IBM thinks about using FreeBSD on their newer Thinkpads

> On a related topic (just to add my voice to other clarifications),
> FreeBSD 4.2 is still using John's two-sector version of boot0, but
> that almost certainly has nothing to do with what's going wrong on
> Thinkpads

Just FYI, but when I upgraded an old 3.0-current system to 4.1 on an old
DEC Celebrus 6150 (150MHz PPro), the 2 sector boot0 caused booting
problems.  Based on this discussion, I went back to using the standard
MBR (via /sbin/fdisk -B da0) and booting is working again.

The work-around I was using was booting from a floppy.

While this is hardly a modern peice of er, hardware, I hope that the
datapoint might help.

louie