Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 1997 12:17:14 +0000 ()
From:      Patrick Nadeau <pnadeau@maeve.physics.utoronto.ca>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   IBM Token ring driver

I would like to volunteer to write an IBM Token ring
driver.

I work in a Token ring shop so I find myself having to route everything
through a Linux box to reach the corporate network :-(

I can't say how much time it will take to write it though.  If you have any
timeline you were thinking of you can let me know.

Some changes will have to be made to the arp code since it now is hard coded to
ethernet also.

I have the driver probing and attaching the card right now which was easy.
The hard part was getting technical info from IBM!  After two weeks
of calling for a few hours each day and after talking to more than
100 different people I got the line that the information was
``IBM confidential'' and that I would have to sign a non-disclosure agreement!

I managed to find the information a month later by total fluke and the most
ironic thing is that it is _not_ confidential.

I think there should be a law making it illegal to ship hardware
without technical documentation.