Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 13:15:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Wes Santee <wes@bogon.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Are these bugs?

'Lo port-people.

I'm trying to figure out what is the critera for what is considered a
bug-free port.  More specifically of the last, oh, 5 or so ports I've
built, only 1 or 2 of them have actually respected the PREFIX variable
to install somewhere else beside /usr/local.

I realize some of the ports can't avoid it (i.e. Netscape which
hard-codes /usr/local into the binary), but even emacs, which can be
passed the --with-prefix=${PREFIX} flag to configure doesn't use it.

If this is the way things should be, then I guess I'll go back to
makefile hacking, etc..  However, if the ports should be created to
respect PREFIX at least most of the time, perhaps before committing a
port to the world, it should be made and installed with PREFIX
pointing somewhere beside /usr/local, just to make sure the port is
robust.

Cheers,
--
( -Wes Santee <wes@bogon.net>                     Homepageless - and proud )
( PGP: email w/Subject: "Send PGP Key"                  Powered by FreeBSD )