Date:      Sat, 25 Nov 1995 16:29:26 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, scrappy@hub.org
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, davidg@Root.COM
Subject:   Re: follow-up to kernel compile problem...

>Just thought of a question with this list of "things to do"...

>Shouldn't you install the new libraries before compiling the
>kernel itself?  And what about the new include files?

No, the kernel doesn't depend on the new libraries and gets the
new include files from their uninstalled places in the source
tree (except for some bugs in libkern).

Sometimes you have to be careful installing utilities to match
the new kernel.  There may be no correct order.  I always try
new kernels before new utilities because it's much easier to
back out one kernel than hundreds of utilities and the utilities
that break usually aren't necessary for starting up.

Add /usr/src/share/mk to the top of my list.

Bruce