Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 1997 04:03:15 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        perlsta@cs.sunyit.edu (Alfred Perlstein)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recovering Lost Inode?

> i've always wondered why when a file was deleted there was an intelegent
> way of moving it to a volatile directory where it could be overwritten at
> any time, but if moved out of that dir it would be marked non-volitile
> again....

Yes, but it's best implemented as a stacking layer.  8-).

You could also set a "deleted" bit (there's an extra bit in the flags
field in the directory entry -- or was), and not return it on search
based on a mount option.

The "purge" issue is a little more complex.  I used a POSIX namespace
escape to implement this functionality in an attributed FS I wrote for
NetWare.  Without the escape, deleted files were hidden; with it,
they were visibile.  An unlink of a visible file made it invisibile,
and an unlink of an invisible file actually removed it.

You would want to make /tmp and probably several other places immune
from deletes like this.

You can get a similar effect to VMS versions using another namespace escape;
stacking name space escapes, anyone?  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.