Date:      Wed, 02 May 2012 08:46:28 +0200
From:      Peter Maloney <peter.maloney@brockmann-consult.de>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gpart labels - why arent't some showing up in /dev/gpt/?

I have the same problem. Any time you boot off a CD/DVD and use import
-f (and then don't export), or I guess use import -f a pool from
anywhere, it does that. I don't know any non-zfs causes for the problem.

Here are some relevant /boot/loader.conf settings (I don't know how
accurate the comments are... I wrote them myself, without fully testing
them):

# Setting this to 0 will get rid of the /dev/gptid directory and you
will see your /dev/gpt directory again if it bugged out and gpt labels
disappeared.
#kern.geom.label.gptid.enable=0

# Not sure what this does; I assume it means to forget about /dev/gpt/*
and probably either show gptid (if not disabled above) or the original
device name (eg. da0p2)
#kern.geom.label.gpt.enable=0

However, that is a lame workaround, disabling a feature to get another
back. I would love to see a good fix.

Peter Maloney
Brockmann Consult
Max-Planck-Str. 2