Date:      Sun, 6 Dec 2015 09:20:44 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Jukka Ukkonen <jau789@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, Stefan Parvu <sparvu@kronometrix.org>
Subject:   Re: Raspberry Pi Zero

On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 3:02 AM, Jukka Ukkonen <jau789@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/06/15 09:21, Stefan Parvu wrote:
> >
> >> I haven=E2=80=99t looked, but most likely a new u-boot and/or other fi=
rmware is
> required.
> >
> > Talking about this, reminds me something I always wanted to ask.
> >
> > Q: cant we deliver one image for RBPI, RBPI2, RBPI0 boards for example =
?
> > Currently one has to download & use a different image for a different
> > board. Linux Raspbian does not have this model.
> >
> > Why is this on FreeBSD ARM ?
> >
> > thanks,
> >

> I guess there is also the little issue that because
> RPI2 supports hardware floating point operations,

Both support hardware floating point. RPi B vfp v2, and
the RPi2 vfp v3.

> it also makes sense to compile the user space with
> the hardware floating enabled. So, in addition to
> separate kernels one might quite reasonably wish to
> have also separate user space libraries and binaries.

It's desirable, but not for the floating point reason.

> Additionally RPI2 needs SMP support RPI-B does not.
> If the same common image had to support both, the
> image would end up being suboptimal for both.

The suboptimality isn't so great.

After I sent the mail last night, I realized that there's
other differences between the two CPUs that require different
DTBs, different firmware to be loaded into the GPU, and
likely a host of other minor things. Surmountable (since the
base firmware / IPL supports it), but lots of work.

Warner