Date:      Mon, 06 Apr 1998 21:16:35 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        beekey@clark.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Laptop BIOS problems

> I just received a new Toshiba Tecra 750DVD laptop (BIOS 6.40) and am
> attempting to install FreeBSD 2.2.5.  Went through the standard FIPS
> which worked fine.  Went through the install process (many times)
> booting from a 2.2.5 CD and from a bootable floppy.  Install goes
> without any glitches.
>
> However, whenever I report I get the following error:
>
> BIOS basemem (639K) != RTC basemem (640K), setting to BIOS value
>
> then the thing stops cold.  At this point you either yank all power
> sources or find the nearest paper clip for the reset button.
>
> After doing several unnatural things with fixit CD's and floppies and
> building 2.2.5 kernels on another system and transferring them over, the
> problems seems to lie somewhere in the function containing the BIOS
> check in the file machdep.c (haven't stepped through each line of the
> function).

Sounds like you might have a memory-mapped peripheral.  Is there an
option in TSETUP to enable a "memory hole"?  Do you have any CardBus
cards inserted?

The Tecra 750 is known to have problems with FreeBSD - until we can
borrow one for a week or two, or arrange for one of the laptop
developers to borrow one, or an enterprising hacker gets serious about
it, we're stuck.  If you need more help, and have a little time to keep
doing what you've been doing so far, we would be *very* happy to answer
your questions.

> On other systems I get the RTC error, but the boot process continues
> merrily along.

The RTC error is more of a diagnostic, and isn't actually very useful
anymore.