Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 06:51:32 +0100
From:      Mark Rowlands <mark.rowlands@minmail.net>
To:        "Duke Normandin" <01031149@3web.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp transfer rates on my LAN

On Wednesday 29 November 2000 23:59, Duke Normandin wrote:
> I'm kinda like a monkey trying to copulate a football/soccer ball when it
> comes to my new toy --- my mickey-mouse 10baseT LAN ;,)
>
> Anyway..... ftped my first file from win95 to 3.3R box. I'm curious about
> the transfer rate that follows:
>
> 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for 'dr703.exe'.
> 226 Transfer complete.
> ftp: 6243908 bytes sent in 18.40Seconds 339.34Kbytes/sec.
>
> Is this an acceptable transfer rate? If it's not, is there anything that I
> can do with my existing hardware - 3c509 <CAT 5e x-over> Compaq Netflex ?
> Would setting both to full duplex (if possible) help? Tia....
>
> -duke
> Calgary,Alberta, Canada

what a wonderful word picture you paint!  this seems somewhat tardy tho.

I get 1100 kb/s from win9x -> freebsd over 10mbs with 5mb+ executables using
the command line ftp client running in half duplex. You could try ensuring
that whatever you select, both machines are set to the same settings. No
autoselect/hardware default nonsense. I would also check you have installed
the myriad of patches available for win95 and it's tcp/ip stack