Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 18:34:30 +0400
From:      "Nickolay A.Kritsky" <nkritsky@internethelp.ru>
To:        "Mario de Oliveira Lobo Neto" <Mlobo@ear.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw question

Hello Mario,

MdOLN> Please forgive my lame question but here it goes.

MdOLN> We use to have FreeBSD 2.2.8. Every time a rule in ipfw was met,
MdOLN> the attempt would get listed on the monitor. I know everything is in
MdOLN> the logs but it was convenient to have the attempts listed on the
MdOLN> monitor when comming in the morning after.

MdOLN> Recently, I've upgraded to 4.3 -RC2. Everything works fine but I
MdOLN> don't get the attempts listed on the monitor anymore. How can I get
MdOLN> them listed again?

MdOLN> Thanks,
MdOLN> Mario Lobo
MdOLN> -
MdOLN> *** Mario Lobo - mlobo@ear.com.br
MdOLN> *** American School of Recife

MdOLN> with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of the message

I have met similiar problems upgrading from 3.3 to 4.2 some time ago.
The reason is that from some point ipfw changed its log facility from
kernel to security. to see ipfw messages on the console again, you
should change the line in your /etc/syslog.conf file, that says what
messages must go to console ( usually it is first rule in
/etc/syslog.conf ).
like this:

*.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit          /dev/console
*.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit;security.*          /dev/console

Good Luck
; NKritsky
; SysAdmin InternetHelp.Ru
; http://www.internethelp.ru