Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 2007 14:56:58 -0800
From:      "Josh Carroll" <josh.carroll@gmail.com>
To:        "Daniel Tourde" <daniel.tourde@spray.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com>
Subject:   Re: Re: Intel Core Duo. SMP kernel but still only 50% load while using make on ports...

> > >    I noticed something strange: When I compile using ma   in the ports
> > > tree, I only have 50% load. CPU1 is used at   CPU0 is idle...

As was already pointed out, ports do not compile with make -j X by
default. You can do so for ports that will build cleanly (not all of
them will), by adding something similar to the following to your
make.conf:

.if ${.CURDIR:M*/ImageMagick*}
MAKE_ARGS+=-j4
.endif

A while back I found which ports I had installed that would play nice
with make -j, so I updated make.conf with a bunch of similar entries
to the above. Works fairly well, and there are actually quite a few
ports that will compile with make -j. If you're interested, let me
know and I'll throw my make.conf up somewhere.

Josh