Date:      Sun, 26 Aug 2018 05:54:47 +0000
From:      Paul Vixie <vixie@fsi.io>
To:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Query regarding tutorials (Please have a quick read of me!)

On Sunday, August 26, 2018 2:46:42 AM UTC Allan Jude wrote:
> On 2018-08-25 13:45, Paul Vixie wrote:
> > ... i remain
> > mystified by the behaviour of grub-bhyve, which usually fails (no
> > meaningful error message) and seems like won't run from /etc/rc.local
> > (must be run from a shell.) so, one of my bhyve servers can't restart
> > automatically, and i don't know why. ...

> What does the invocation look like?

        grub-bhyve -r $defdev -m $vm.map -M $pm -c /dev/$sc $vm \
            > ${vm}.output 2>&1 \
            || {
                echo "grub-bhyve failed" >&2;
                exit 1;
        }

> Does this work:
> printf "\n" | grub-bhyve ...your-stuff-here...

i'll give it a try. testing this particular path requires a reboot, and the
system is otherwise running in production... so give me a day or two.

> As an alternative, you can now use the UEFI_CSM firmware for bhyve, and
> it'll boot from the boot blocks inside the VM, like xen/kvm/qemu/virtualbox

this sounds far preferable! is there an example or other documentation?

--
Vixie