Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 1997 11:55:10 -0600
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Panics on reboot/halt/shutdown with MFS

On Mar 03, 1997 at 05:06:13PM +1030, Michael Smith wrote:
> Jonathan Lemon stands accused of saying:
> >
> > I spent some time digging into this.  The symptoms are that the system
> > panics/locks up when executing reboot() when there is a MFS mounted
> > filesystem.  (freebsd bugs #3012, #3026)
> >
> > When MFS is not mounted, the system shuts down without a problem.
> > Perhaps someone with a CVS tree available could look at the recent changes
> > that were made to 2_2_RELENG?  This only just started happening.
>
> Might this be because the MFS now has a non-NULL mountpoint?  There
> was a change recently to fill in the mountpoint when the MFS' vnode
> is allocated.

I don't think so; I remember that change, and it didn't hang the system
when I halted.  (This was on my home machine, that gets shut down every
night).  However, I'll back that change out and see if it still happens.

The vnode in question is of v_type == VBLK, and v_tag == VT_NON, where I
was expecting a v_tag of VT_MFS.  Also, my preliminary inspections show
that it doesn't appear to be always happening at the same point.
--
Jonathan