Date:      Sun, 8 Feb 1998 11:05:05 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Shawn Stone <shawn.stone@westal.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Metro X Server (RedHat/Caldera Linux) on FreeBSD

On Sat,  7 February 1998 at 16:48:20 -0600, Shawn Stone wrote:
> I have (what I believe to be) a virtual terminal problem.  Here it is:
> I purchased Caldera OpenLinux over a year ago, before I was made to
> realize that FreeBSD is a better product.  One thing I did like about
> Caldera, though (and about RedHat, for that matter) was the X server.
> The only real reason I prefer MetroX is that it supports my card in
> 16-bit color, whereas XFree86 does not.  (I would either have to replace
> my ISA card with a PCI one or revoce all but 14MB of RAM.)

I don't understand why this should be so.  Would you care to
elaborate?

> So I installed the Linux libraries, compiled Linux support into the
> kernel, installed the rpm package, then rpm'ed the Metro X server onto
> my system.  All of that went without a glitch.
>
> Then I tried to configure the server and got the following error
> (contents of /var/log/Xerrors):
>
> 	Metro-X Version 3.1.2
>
> 	Copyright (c) 1990-1996 by Metro Link Inc.
> 	Copyright (c) 1989-1994 by M.I.T.
> 	Copyright (c) 1994-1996 by X Consortium, Inc.
> 	All Rights Reserved.
> 	Read mouse Serial_MouseMan from Xconfig
>
> 	Fatal server error:
> 	Can not find open VT
>
> Well, I remembered that Linux usually setup 6 virtual terminals instead
> of FreeBSD's 4, so I used MAKEDEV to create an additional 3 VTs (one to
> grow on!), edited my /etc/ttys to include them and turn them all on (as
> in Linux), then SIGHUPed init.  No go - same error.

Creating the devices is only the external part of creating new VTs.
You also need to build a new kernel.  But don't do that.  Read on.

> Edited /etc/ttys again and turned the last 4 back off, restarted
> init, and same error.  I even created symlinks to the devices named
> tty0-tty6 (as in Linux), and again gained no ground.  (All right, I
> admit that I don't really know whether that last move was the
> smartest in the world.  Can a symlink actually work with a character
> device?)

Yes, symlinks work.  Of course, there's almost never a reason to
create a symlink in the same file system.  Use a hard link instead.
Or use mknod if it's a special file--a node is smaller than a
symlink.  But this is probably not the problem.

> So now I'm tossing up my hands and asking you guys:  Can this be
> done?

I don't think so.  The Linux emulator emulates the Linux user
interface, not the Linux kernel.  The X server uses kernel features
which probably don't correspond to the FreeBSD interface.

> Or am I consigned to either buying a different card or settling for
> 256 colors?

I don't think so.  You at least have the option of buying a FreeBSD
version of the X server.  But I'm not at all convinced that there is a
problem.  The other answer to this question was off-track, BTW: you
*can* run an ISA board with over 16 MB.  The 16 MB ISA limit refers to
I/O.  Transfers to display boards are done via memory, which doesn't
have this limitation.  I'm running an ATI Mach 8 board on a 64 MB with
no problems, though I haven't tried 16 bpp with it.

But maybe that's not what you mean.  What makes you think that your
board won't work with XFree86 in 16 bpp mode?

Greg