Date:      Mon, 20 Jul 1998 16:47:10 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Paul Hart <hart@iserver.com>, dg@root.com, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The 99,999-bug question: Why can you execute from the stack?

> I would argue that the real problem is unsafe tools. C and its libraries
> have, from the start, been rusty, and unsafe, with no safeguards against
> cutting one's head off. Heck, the C language was more than 20 years old

That may be true, but it has no relevance to this discussion.

> Quality can't (and shouldn't) be tested or audited in. It should be DESIGNED
> in. The development tools we use to develop the system in the first place

That may be true, but it has no relevance to this discussion.

> Any change in the status quo will require a change of attitude -- a level of
> professionalism that I haven't seen yet in most developers.

This has nothing to do with "lack of professionalism", this has to do
with users (like yourself) simply expecting to get something without
investing any of their own effort.

I really have to be somewhat amazed at this discussion.  I remember a
period during the late 70's and 80's when NOBODY would have just run
something on one of their systems without either extensively auditing
it first or making sure that it had just gone through such an audit.
People used to be *careful* about what they ran and they used to take
a personal interest in anything which ran with root privileges.  They
also used to make backups and designate people to take over for them
when they went on honeymoons and such. :-)

Developers haven't changed much at all, from what I can see, but the
quality of the *users* and the time and attention which they spend on
proper security procedures has really gone into the toilet.  Sorry
Brett, but you're really pointing your finger in the wrong direction
here.  People have really gotten far too complacent lately and they're
starting to pay the price for expecting everything to now be
point-and-click, including their own security.

- Jordan