Date:      Sun, 06 Apr 1997 06:35:18 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
To:        Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
Cc:        joki@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de (Joachim Kuebart), questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape Navigator 3.01 without named

At 01:56 AM 4/6/97 +0200, Wolfgang Helbig wrote:
>Netscape and some other programs (nslookup(8), host(1)) seem to ignore
>/etc/host.conf and /etc/hosts. This annoying "feature" unnecessarily
>bloats the administration of small local networks that are connected
>to the Internet by a switched line only.
>
>I am very much interested in a solution to this problem that avoids
>firing up named just for telling me who I am.

Hehe!  And I thought that just our Win95 users ran into such problems.

My thought is that if it doesn't use the nameserver from either
/etc/host.conf or /etc/hosts it should look for named.ca or in the case of
the default for FBSD, named.root and just use the root servers.

Too bad you can't get the source code.  ;-)

Hehe!  And I thought that just our Windoze users ran into such problems.
Damn annoying when stacks just check the designated DNS servers and don't
get the list of root servers and use them.

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990