Date:      Thu, 7 Dec 1995 12:17:21 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Lars Fredriksen" <fredriks@mcs.com>
To:        julian@ref.tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        phk@critter.tfs.com, se@ZPR.Uni-Koeln.DE, wollman@lcs.mit.edu, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: sysctl status right now, and plea for testing.

Julian Elischer writes:

[stuff deleted]
> I'm 80% through a few big changes to how devices are done..
> the JREMOD changes are now unconditional in my system here,
> so every driver is called by the SYSINIT code at startup, well before
> it get's asked to probe. At that time. it hooks itself into the
> devsw tables etc. and for devices for which there is no more
> probing to be done, (e.g. /dev/mem) it also
> puts itself into the devfs at this time..
> This brings up the point..
> Should we have a single time drivers are called for initialisation, etc.?
> I can see the driver being called once on loading or booting
> to add devsw entried
> once to probe
> once to put sysctl stuff in
> etc..
> I wouldn't mind making sure we co-ordinate on this..
> particularly, devfs and devconf look like they might be duplicating
> some structure..

Hi Julian,
	I have a quick question here. Is there now a possibility that
controller to name mapping change dynamically upon  a failure or
removal of controller/device?  I am looking to avoid things like this:

configuration:

	ed0
	ed1

		default route through ed1 and which is the way to get to
	the NFS server.

Action:
	remove ed0

	reboot

new configuration:

	ed0	<--- this should still be ed1

IBM has that problem with their device to name configuration and it causes
no end of troubles.

Lars

Lars Fredriksen		fredriks@mcs.com		(home)
			lars@fredriks.pr.mcs.net	(home-home)