Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 2000 23:01:45 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Drew Tomlinson <drewt@writeme.com>, "'Rick Hamell'" <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VMware? (Was RE: installation woes)

At 9:13 AM -0700 10/19/00, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>someone else wrote:
> > 	You're looking for VMware... it runs anything on
> > anything... In fact NT will run better on FreeBSD then
> > NT by itself from what I've seen. It's obvious that
> > you've a skewed outlook on how the computer
>
>It sounds too good to be true.  Is VMware a real thing?  Where
>can I find more information on it.

It does not quite "run anything on anything", but it is very
useful.  There is a version for WinNT, and a version for
Linux.  There is a freebsd port which gets the linux version
working under FreeBSD.

The linux version works better under linux than it does under
freebsd (which is not much of a surprise), but it is still
quite useful under freebsd.  I use it to run either linux
netbsd or win2k systems without having to shutdown freebsd on
my system.

In my experience, the latest version of the vmware2 port
will probably assume you are running the latest version
of freebsd-stable.

Some discussion of vmware on freebsd can be found on the
mailing list freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute